Update, September 2026
This project has grown well beyond what is described below. The suite now captures the Google Sheets workbook behind your app as well as the app’s own documentation, and puts both into a form that an agentic AI — Gemini CLI, Claude Code, Codex — can read. This means that your AI agent can now run the scripts for you and take on more sophisticated analytical tasks. The full announcement can be found here:
AppSheet Parser Suite: Analyze Your Apps with Agentic AI - #60 by Kirk_Masden
Note: The URLs of the documentation and the GitHub Repository in this post have not been changed; they point to the latest information and data. Also, please be aware that I have not altered the body of the text you see below, so much of it is out of date. If you are reading this for the first time, I suggest that you go directly to the URL shown above and begin there.
Introduction
I’ve developed a comprehensive Python tool suite that parses AppSheet’s HTML documentation to help developers understand and maintain their applications. After months of development and debugging, I’m excited to share this with the community.
What It Does
The AppSheet Parser Suite transforms your app’s HTML documentation export into structured CSV files, revealing:
- Orphaned components (unused views, actions, columns, slices, format rules)
- Navigation paths and dependencies between components
- References to non-existent views that would cause runtime errors
- Actions that are unreachable in group sequences
- Complete dependency chains for any column, action, or view
Why I Built This
Large AppSheet applications can accumulate technical debt over time. Components get left behind during refactoring, references break, and it becomes increasingly difficult to understand what depends on what. The HTML documentation contains this information, but it’s nearly impossible to extract manually from complex apps.
Resources
Documentation: AppSheet Parser Suite — Making an AppSheet app legible to agentic AI
The documentation includes:
- Step-by-step setup instructions
- Video tutorial showing how to prepare required files
- Detailed explanation of each analysis phase
- Sample output so you know what to expect
Download the scripts and start analyzing your apps today.
Getting Started
- Export your app’s HTML documentation from AppSheet
- Create a few supporting text files (the docs explain how)
- Run the parser
- Review the CSV outputs to find optimization opportunities
- Use the interactive dependency explorer to trace relationships
Important Notes
While I’ve spent considerable time debugging and testing with various apps, there may still be issues I haven’t encountered. I can’t promise to fix every bug that comes up, but I’m hoping this becomes a community effort. If you’re comfortable with Python, I encourage you to join me on GitHub to help improve the scripts. Pull requests, issue reports, and suggestions are all welcome.
The suite has already helped me identify dozens of orphaned components in the main app I’ve been working on over the years. I hope it proves equally valuable for your AppSheet development work.



