Google Cloud mirror that works without external IP address

Is there a Google Cloud mirror of Ubuntu that works without an external IP address? I have a Cloud VM instance which I want to keep updated. I tried “australia-southeast1.gce.archive.ubuntu.com” and the IP resolves to 35.189.39.228 but 35.189.39.228 doesn’t respond.

You can create a Compute Engine instance from an of the images supplied by Google (or you can create your own). Included in the list of available images are a selection of Ubuntu images. When you create a Compute Engine instance, you can choose whether or not you want it to have a public Internet accessible IP address or not. You must always have the Compute Engine attached to a VPC network.

Thanks

I’ve actually already created an ubuntu instance that intentionally doesn’t have an external IP.

My question is whether there is an internal Google mirror that I can use to patch this instance without having an external IP.

Thanks,

Oh .. apologies … I hadn’t understood what you meant by mirror … and now I get it. I believe you are meaning a “mirror repository” where Ubuntu distributions can be found so that you can run apt-get or other software maintenance packages to bring in/update packages. For example:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

Now … when we choose NOT to give a Compute Engine an external IP address, that means that we have no path INTO that Compute Engine from the Internet. However, you can create a Cloud Nat that allows OUTBOUND access to the Internet from your Compute Engines. My first pass at an answer would be to say “Configure Cloud Nat to allow JUST access to the mirror repo and allow your compute engines to reach out to them”.